The ultimate Vision of NECRET is to move Ireland in the direction of Cancer elimination.
The Northeast Cancer Research supports cutting edge cancer treatment and care for its patients attending Our Lady of Lourdes Oncology and Haematology Unit from across the Northeast including counties Cavan, Louth, Meath, Monaghan and North County Dublin.
We seek to do this by providing funding for focused activities that will improve the treatment and outcomes of people with cancer.
Our Aims Are
This approach to achieving the highest quality cancer care involves:
- Funding state of the art equipment to help our clinicians remain at the very forefront of the fight against cancer.
- Conducting and contributing to much needed clinical cancer research into new treatment methodologies
- Supporting top quality training to help our medical staff treating cancer patients be the very best they can be.
- Enhancing the support and care provided to cancer patients by the unit to make their stay as comfortable as possible.
- Another focus of the charity is on educating the public in terms of cancer signs and symptoms for earlier detection along with how risk of the disease can be reduced through a changed lifestyle.
Our long-term goals for the next 5 years are:
- To promote local innovation in the treatment of cancer by facilitating the introduction of emerging treatments and care such as our latest generation gene sequencing machine acquisition later this year.
- In partnership with our clinical and research colleagues continue supporting the clinical research lab we fund in achieving ground breaking developments in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
- To continue supporting the provision of as broad a range of cancer treatment services locally as possible.
- To continue providing funding for the development of our medical staff through the education and training in the latest new treatments and methodologies.
- To continue ensuring that all our cancer patients are treated in comfortable and appropriate surroundings and have access to additional facilities which make their treatment journey less stressful.
- To support the National Cancer Strategy by increasing the general public’s awareness of cancer signs and symptoms for earlier detection along with how risk of the disease can be reduced through a changed lifestyle.